NorCERT coordinates preventative work and responses against IT security breaches aimed at vital infrastructure in Norway. We alert of serious attacks, threats and other vulnerabilities related to serious IT security.
NorCERT (Norwegian Computer Emergency Response Team) is a department of the Norwegian National Security Authority (Nasjonal sikkerhetsmyndighet - NSM) and:
- The National CERT in Norway
- Coordinating body for all major Cyber security incidents related to Norway
- National responsibility for Incident Response
- National Point of Contact for Cyber Defence (operational)
- The National Cyber Threat Assessment
- Joint analysis with intelligence/security community in Norway (Joint Task Force on Cyber Threats)
- VDI - Early Warning System for Digital Infrastructure
- Purpose: Map malicious activities towards Norway, Early Warning and support the national Cyber Threat Assessment with data
- Initiated in 2000
- Cooperation between the intelligence and security services in Norway (NSM, PST, NIS) and a private/public partnership (PPP)
- World first known national sensor network in such a context
- Highly flexible system
NorCERT’s tasks include:
- Coordinating responses to serious IT security breaches against vital infrastructure and information.
- Gathering information related to serious IT security threatening incidents
- Coordinating early patching of serious vulnerabilities in vital computer systems in our society.
- Sharing information with other response teams regarding new threats.
- Having an up-to-date view of IT related threats.
- Assisting other response teams and aiding national readiness measures.
- Being Norway’s point of contact for similar organizations abroad.
The Internet – A vulnerable arena for attacks
A few years ago it was necessary to have extensive knowledge of networking in order to access the Internet. The Internet is now available to almost anyone who can access a computer.
Almost everything in both the public and private sectors depend on Internet access today. The amount of vulnerabilities in these sectors has therefore increased considerably in recent years. Well-organised ICT attacks intended to disable, damage or make benefit of computerized functions in society may harm Norway’s vital infrastructure.
Detection, notification and incident handling
NorCERT prepares Norway for a potential ICT crisis.
Our IT security precautions include:
- Reducing our society’s ICT vulnerabilities
- Reducing the probability of potential crisis
Once a crisis occurs, NorCERT aims to:
- Respond correctly ASAP
- Limit the extent and consequences of the crisis
Facts about NorCERT:
- Formally established: 1st January 2006
NorCERT is an operational department in NSM consisting of two integrated sections:
- VDI , Varslingssystem for Digital Infrastruktur, is the Norwegian Alert and Early Warning System for Digital Infrastructure identifying, classifying and issuing warnings about IT attacks against Norway.
- Incident Handling is Norway’s national centre coordinating the handling of attacks against vital Norwegian ICT security.
- Together both sections operate the Operation Centre. Where we maintain an up-to-date view of the ICT threat assessment.
- Altogether approximately 20 IT-security specialists, aided by conscripts with experience and competence in IT.